Legal Affirmation

Some individuals choose to change their name or gender marker legally. The below information details the process and documents needed to change your legal name and gender marker in Rhode Island.

Rhode Island now allows one to “self attest” in changing their gender marker on identity documents, including an option for gender marker X.

Rhode Island – Adults (probate court)

Follow the steps here to change your name and/or gender marker in Rhode Island:

Rhode Island – Minors (family court)


Other States

Check out Trans Equality for step by step processes.

Other Resources

Know Your Rights

GLAD’s “Know Your Rights” Rhode Island page

GLAD Transgender ID Project: